Friday, August 20, 2010

Best Appt So Far!!!

We heard the best news ever today - chemo is NOT in my future! We beat the odds. We were told that I had a 90% chance of chemo treatment and after full evaluation of the pathology report, Dr. Anderson concluded that chemo treatments would not help me in any way. So, I'm DONE. Of course I still have to recover from the surgery but otherwise, I'm done! I'm done!! I'm a survivor - an official survivor. Cancer is gone from my body!!!!!!

There is the smallest of small chances that this could turn around, but no one expects it to be the case. Pathologists are looking at the specimen one more time to look for invasive cells but it's not expected they will find anything. My long term plan is to continue to be diligent about screening and to embrace healthy living. I also need to do the BRCA mutation test - which happens Sept. 2 (then takes a few weeks for results). If that should come up positive, I'd need to have one more surgery likely. But lets not think about that for a while.

I also saw my plastic surgeon today. Turns out, I can't pick up Channing for another couple of weeks. So I still need lots of help but according to him things are healing well. So we wait. We wait 3-4 weeks and see him again for a final check. We wait for the genetics test. And we wait for me to just feel better. I tire very easy and I'm very sore still - keeping up on the pain meds for sure. Other than that, I'm free.

Scott and I couldn't be happier. Once again, I feel so lucky. Wow.

Who's training for Race for a Cure? Mid September I think!

13 comments:

  1. That is the BEST news - CONGRATULATIONS!!! We are soooo happy for you!!! No chemo, yay!!!!!! Sleep peacefully tonight. xoxo The Wendover Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Becky. You have made our day, or should I say night! I've been reading all the blogs and was just hoping and praying to hear this news. So, so, happy for you and Scott!!!!
    Love,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky that is wonderful news!! Chemo saves a lot of lives, but it is an ugly war to have to wage. I am so thankful that you will get to escape that route. Good luck to you all and best wishes for a healthy happy life...
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful news to read as I'm getting ready for bed!! Prayers continue and I know God has special plans for you. May you feel His presence as you rest and get stronger.
    Love and prayers.
    Vicki Silkey

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!! I Knew it, I knew you would fall into that 10%!!! Congrats :) Keep your head high, these next few weeks will fly by and you will be able to hold miss cutie soon enough.

    Lots of tight hugs and talk soon,
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing news!!!! I have tears in my eyes and goosebumps galore!! I cannot even imagine how you and Scott must feel!! Thank you so much for sharing this journey! You are incredible!! Woohoo! Sweet dreams! Lots of love, The Sakys Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this is the BEST news! Becky I'm so happy I'm tearing up. I wish I could hug you!!! Big big smother virtual hugs - and you can virtually get uncomfortable. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What incredible, joyful news! Can't wait to celebrate with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Becky - I am soo happy for you. I can't imagine anything better to wake up to on this Saturday am. I've been keeping my husband up to date on your progress and this is the first thing i am going to tell him when he wakes up! Channel all that happiness into your recovery and we can't wait to see you sooner v later! -Chris Dotts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becky-

    Congratulations on not having to do chemo!!!! So happy for you. It's Dr Anderson great. Keep resting and healing and you will be able to hold Channing in no time. I wish I could do the race for the cure but can't this year. There is a young survivors group that meets in the Portland area every month. I have not gone to it yet but maybe we could go together in a month or so. Looking forward to meeting you in person. Love ya,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best news of all!!! You had such a positive attitude all along which I am sure helped! All our best for a speedy and full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!!! YES, YES, YES!!!! So, so happy! God Bless & Love you Buck ~ Treads

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best Best Best NEWS!!!!!! I was so happy to read this, Becky. You have had an amazing spirit through all of this and I'm so happy for you and your family on this great news. xoxo, Melissa

    ReplyDelete