Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lets Start at the Beginning

I'm going back a few years with this one as background. Just after Casen was born, I discovered a lump in my left breast. I was nursing at the time and I assumed it was related to that. Nevertheless, I asked Dr. Stewart about it at my 6 week appointment and she suggested having it checked out. I then went for an ultrasound and I was told it was nothing and that it would go away. And it did.

Fast forward three years. Channing is born and I'm again nursing and notice the same lump. Exact same. I assume again that it's whatever it was last time around.. clogged milk duct maybe? Anyways, it had been there about 45 days and I finally decided to have it looked at. So back to Dr. Stewart and then back to have another ultrasound. This time however I went to the Pacific Breast Center in Lake Oswego (versus Epic in Beaverton). And I was lucky enough to see Dr. Eklund. He did an ultrasound and said it was a cyst and that it would go away. BUT - to be sure he suggested doing a mammogram. Following, he came back in and said it was NOT a cyst. He explained that it was a cluster of calcifications and that there were calcifications all over in fact but in smaller groups so I wasn't able to feel those.

The next day (Thursday), I was in for a biopsy. He biopsied the cluster/lump and also did a 'blind' biopsy in another area. Then we waited.. On Monday, July 19 I went in to get my results. Scott came with me and we were told that there were malignant cells in both areas and we needed to see a surgeon. He explained that it was Ductal Carcinoma in Situ which is a 0 grade cancer (the good news). It was high grade however which isn't the best, but still caught very early. We left and later got a call from Dr. Eklund referring me to Dr. Nathalie Johnson - a breast surgeon. We had an appt scheduled for Friday. So again, we were waiting. During that week I had multiple conversations with Dr. Stewart who walked me through the details of DCIS and said we were very lucky that so far, there was no invasive or microinvasive cells. A day later, we got more bad news. Once the full pathology was back, there were microinvasive cells detected in the main lump (not in the blind biopsy area). Either way, from my reading and talking to Dr. Stewart I was prepared to hear that I would need a bi-lateral mastectomy.

On Friday, we met with Dr. Johnson and her great staff. It seemed like a bit of a whirlwind but they were great. I was told that I was hormone receptor negative (another bad result) which means that in addition to a bi-lateral mastectomy I have a 90% chance of needing chemotherapy. Sigh. I wasn't prepared for that news. If needed, I will likely get 8 treatments over 4 months that would start 2-4 weeks following surgery. I've got my fingers crossed for that 10% but I'm being realistic and trying to mentally prepare (if that's possible).

We left Dr. Johnson's office and went over to St. Vs for a couple additional tests - blood work, a chest xray, etc. I was referred to Dr. Popowich, a plastic surgeon for reconstruction and also referred to a genetic counselor to test for the BRCA gene in addition to many other things I imagine. At this point, I won't see an oncologist until they get the surgical pathology and determine the amount of microinvastive cells found.

Yesterday, Tuesday July 27 I met with Dr. Popowich. He'll be operating with Dr. Johnson and will be handling reconstruction. Sounds like we may be able to do everything in one surgery versus two. We won't know until they start working. He also was very comforting about the recovery and I'm hopeful it won't be too bad.

The surgery is scheduled for Friday, August 13 at 1:30pm at St. Vincents. I've got more appointments ahead of me and I'll do my best to keep this updated with the details.

Oh, I should mention that this cancer is treatable, curable and survivable. I will be FINE. While hearing you have cancer is not fun, I'm incredibly grateful that it was caught early and that my fight will be a fairly easy one. Many people face much worse news and I didn't. I feel so lucky. I'm also surrounded by amazing people. The outpouring of support is simply incredible. Thank YOU all for making me feel so loved and special at this very crazy time.

I'll end with a joke I read recently about how you might consider telling your friends and family you have cancer. I wish I would have gone with this approach!

Knock, Knock.
Who's there?
I have cancer

24 comments:

  1. You and Scott are quite the cancer comedians here with your catching URL and title. I see a new career in your futures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That joke is stupid. It makes me and Kiesha want to punch you. :) Loves!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the headline and the jokes. and I love you! I'm glad you'll have a place to document your journey and keep us all updated. It's easier than having to repeat yourself a million times. Big hugs to you and your tatas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious- nice job. Team Howell is routing for you guys... we are with you every step of the way. xxxxoxxxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Becky. As always, you have an amazing attitude and sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for going back to the begining and sharing your journey...I'm sure you will end up helping other women along the way by being so open. Hang in there and just think, you will have nice new perky breasts...I'm sure they will look GREAT, not something most women have after nursing 3 babies!! Don't let Scott talk you into the Double D's!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knock Knock - Pineapple supports tatas and hopes your come out perky, plentiful, and HEALTHY! Team Watson...reporting for support duty ma'am.


    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this news sucks...I'm so sorry but happy to see your staying positive and Yes you will be Fine! Your Boobs will not kill you they really don't have that much power over women...just men! :)No but seriously, I will keep you in my thoughts and check your blog regularly to see how your doing! Hugs Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your humor and positive attitude!! I completely agree, shitty news, BUT you will be fine, you'll be more than fine!!! Sending you lots of love, prayers and many, many years of life. Love, The Wendover Family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becky, I am truly inspired by your positive attitude; cancer sucks, no matter the severity, form, invasiveness, or affect it has on your life. You are surrounded by a great support system, don't hesitate to make Scott do those dishes! I am so thankful that you were proactive about your health and caught it early enough to be treatable. You will be in my thoughts as you endure what is to come.
    ~kasi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, Becky. Even now, you are so thoughtful- We love being informed! And this mid great middle of the night reading for me... Feeding baby Paige at 3am and keeping up with your crazy life! I'd say hang in there, but your way ahead of me on that :) Xoxo, megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. well shit becks, cancer sucks. and three cheers to scott for the title - LOVE it and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your positive attitude is truly inspiring, Becky, and I've no doubt you will kick cancer's bootay! Love the URL - so full of personality just like you! Thoughts and prayers are with you!

    Lindsay W

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a knot in my stomach after reading this. Your type of breast cancer is EXTREMELY similar to my moms,she was undergoing chemo at this time last year. You are correct when you say you'll be FINE!!!! But, it's going to be a very difficult road to "fine".

    And kudos to you for getting the lump checked out! I think a lot of women would have figured it was a full milk duct/etc. Smart move on your part.

    My family & I were very scared about the chemo...it wasn't as bad as we imagined. Once mom got nauseous, she began acupuncture, which made her nausea practically dissapear. Wow. Maybe keep that in mind in case you do need chemo....I'm TRULY hoping you won't!

    We will be thinking about you Becky! And Scott, Keaton, Casen & Channing too.

    Btw, I recently had a mammogram...it's expensive because insurance won't cover it if you're under age 45 (dumb), if any ladies out there have breast cancer in their families, I don't care how young you are, GET A BASELINE MAMMOGRAM NOW!!!!! The docs & radiologist were happy I did!
    -Anne P.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there Beck-a-boo!
    Love your humor and humility you will be fine and this will only strengthen the love your family has for each other. I am sending you seriously good juju! All my best - WendyKay

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Becky and family,
    Thanks for this blog. It really saddens me that such a great family has to go through something like this but I know we guys will come out even stronger. I'm very glad to hear that you have gone to multiple doctors because I know that Breast Cancer is one of the most misdigagnosed cancers.My love goes out to you guys! It puts a smile on my face knowing the humor you guys have put on this, Love the URL and blog name.
    Even though you can't feel them, I am sending lots and lots of hugs to you Becky and Scott and of course the boys and darling Channing!

    Warmest wishes and best of luck,
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  17. We want to you to know that we are thinking of you and your beautiful family. Please know that I also can be given a schedule if you need me. I called your Mom and told her that I would be happy to come up and lend a hand. Of course you know how I feel about kids and babies. I just cannot get enough of them. We love you and you are in our prayers.

    Paul & Jill

    ReplyDelete
  18. Much much love you to you Becky. You will be fine and will have lots of love and support along the way for sure. Jack and Ava would love for your boys to come over for a playdate and I would love to snuggle with your sweet baby girl, so when you need a break please add me to your list of helpers. I'm not working, so my schedule is pretty flexible. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Becky, my heart aches to hear this news. You and your family are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Becky, so sorry to hear you have "the cancer" (whispered). I have no doubt you will defeat the cancer cans and be FINE. I will be following your journey and keeping you guys in my thoughts. If you need anything, don't hesitate to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry that you have to deal with this, Becky and Scott. Your obvious strength, positive attitude and great sense of humor will see you through this. Just wanted to let you know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Aaron and Lydia Stoffers

    (I keep thinking of the nice dinner with you and Scott where I had too much wine. "What was the name of your OB/GYN?" Thanks for posting it here so I won't forget.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Becky,

    My Mother-in-law had the same cancer, nearly the same surgery and St. V's does a great job with helping to make you as comfortable as possible for Chemo. While there isn't truly a comfortable Chemo approach, they give it a shot! Thinking of you - - Friday the 13th isn't too bad, it's David's Birthday too! Warm thoughts and wishes for you all.

    WendyKay

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beck - thanks for the email to clue me in. I really appreciate it. With pregnancy brain and an extended weekend vacation, I am clueless. Being 8.5 mo pregnant and over 40, I will definitely get a clue and get myself checked out and mammograms. I love your humor, levity and transparency. You are an inspiration. In my thoughts and prayers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Becky,
    I hadn't heard till today. You are and will continue to be in my prayers. I work against this darn thing every day, just wish I could fix it all faster and better for all patients.
    -Amy H.

    ReplyDelete